Maintain Rural Character
My vision for North Cowichan involves maintaining our rural character and preventing suburban sprawl. My priorities are to:
- Prevent suburban sprawl into rural and environmentally sensitive areas by encouraging infill development and directing future growth to commercial core areas of the municipality.
- Introduce policies that protect greenspace and rural values, including conservation subdivision design, site adaptive planning and protection of scenic corridors
- Update Official Community Plan, Zoning Bylaw and Subdivision Bylaw to include stronger focus on protecting rural areas from suburban sprawl
- Defend the Agricultural Land Reserve and protect agricultural lands from inappropriate development
- Manage North Cowichan’s community forest for multiple uses including harvesting, biodiversity protection and recreation